The Volunteer Transport Scheme exists to provide essential journeys for Southam residents. If you live in Southam and you have no family or friends nearby to take you to your medical appointment, the Volunteer Transport Scheme can help.
Volunteers use their own cars to take people to and from hospital, GP and other medical appointments. This is a vital service for people in the local community who are eligible for a bus pass through age, disability or lack of alternative transport. The service is FREE and is funded by Southam Town Council.
The service is also available to clients from Bishops Itchington, Harbury, Deppers Bridge, Priors Marston and Priors Marston who are eligible for a bus pass, the client will need to reimburse the driver’s expenses this should be made directly to the driver at the end of the journey. The mileage rate is 0.45p per mile for the first 10,000 volunteer miles in any tax year and 25p per mile thereafter. Any payment exceeding these rates will negate the driver’s insurance and be considered as business mileage.
The scheme office is situated in the Grange Hall, manned by volunteers, and open Monday to Friday 10 am to 12 noon. Journeys can be booked by calling 01926 815817 or by visiting the office. All drivers are DBS checked and fully insured.
The criteria is as follows:
- You must be eligible for a bus pass
- Clients should give 3 days’ advanced notice when arranging a journey
- You must provide the office with a contact telephone number
- Journeys must be arranged through the Volunteer Office and NOT directly with the driver
- We will endeavour to accommodate your needs as best we can: however, this is subject to the availability of drivers and therefore cannot be guaranteed.
- Resources do not allow for multiple weekly journeys
This service is a last resort for those in genuine need and relies on hard-pressed volunteers. It is not a taxi. Please consider this before you request a booking.
Volunteer drivers are always required, if you have a spare hour or two please call the office for an informal chat.